Dodd-Frank Act - White Paper - Citigroup - Ready or Not? Here it Comes: OTC Derivatives in the Post-Dodd-Frank Landscape - July 12, 2011
Jump to navigation Jump to search
July 12, 2011
Summary of key points from the white paper:
- Operational challenges and requirement of sizeable re-engineering of operational and technology infrastructure.
- Increase in connectivity points - multiple clearing members, swap execution facilities (SEFs) and swap data repositories (SDRs) - will increase market volume and complexity.
- Market participants should expect significant impact on margin and collateral management and should preemptively establish cross-product margining with their core bank counterparties.
- Valuation needs will also change as there will be potential requirements for daily valuations of non-cleared trades, harmonization and validation of marks.
- Trade, position and risk reporting with regulators is expected to broaden and intensify.
- Swap participants may have additional monitoring, compliance and reporting responsibilities,even if they are exempted from central clearing. Citi estimates that about 60% of the current OTC derivatives market by volume will be centrally cleared.
- Traditional derivatives intermediation (prime brokerage services) will likely continue in the near term and be complementary to CCP clearing.