Dodd-Frank Timeline, Agricultural Swaps
| Final Rule Issue
|| Effective Date
|| No-action Deadline
| August 10, 2011
|| December 31, 2011
|| December 31, 2012
Dodd-Frank Timeline, Agricultural Commodities Definition
| Proposal Date
|| Final Rule
|| Effective/Compliance Date
| October 26,2010
|| July 13, 2011,
|| September 12, 2011
At the CFTC Open Meeting, October 19, 2010 (the Second Series of Proposed Rules under the Dodd-Frank Act), the commission addressed agricultural swaps regulation. In order to allow industry participants and the general public to help guide the commission in the regulatory process, an advance notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPRM) was approved. The ANPRM appeared in the Federal Register on September 28, 2010. The comment period closed on October 28, 2010.
Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Agricultural Swaps, September 28, 2010
In the Federal Register, Volume 75, No. 187 (September 28, 2010), the CFTC offered an ANPRM regarding Agricultural Swaps. The open period for comment letters ran from September 28 - October 28, 2010. Specifically, the CFTC requested guidance and input from the public on the following topics:
- The current size and scope of the agricultural swaps market,
- The practical and economic effects of a clearing requirement for agricultural swaps
- Current logistical, abusive, or transparency issues regarding the trading of agricultural swaps, and whether additional protections are needed.
- Agricultural swap transactions on designated contract markets (DCMs)and swap execution facilities (SEFs)
Update, January 2011
After consideration of the public comments from the Agricultural Swaps ANPRM, the CFTC approved its proposed final rules regarding agricultural swaps at the CFTC Open Meeting, January 20, 2011; the tenth series of proposed rules under the Dodd-Frank Act. The proposal appeared in the Federal Register on February 3, 2011; the deadline for public comment was April 4, 2011. For more information, see the Final Set of Proposed Rules, February 2011.
- ↑ Open Meeting on Second Series of Proposed Rules under the Dodd-Frank Act. CFTC. Retrieved on February 16, 2011.